Diocesan Confirmation Guidelines
- A process over and above regular attendance in a parochial school or Faith Formation classes
- Candidates must choose the Sacrament freely and show a readiness and willingness to live the commitment
- Candidates must regularly participate in the Eucharist/Mass
- The Sacrament is normally conferred after a three-year process
- Candidate must be registered in his/her parish, attend Faith Formation or Catholic Schools and be enrolled in the three-year Confirmation Process.
Candidates are expected to
- Attend three meetings per year for two years
- Develop an understanding of their Catholic Faith as demonstrated by active participation in the Eucharist
- Participate in their Spiritual Growth through prayer and reflection
- Participate in a St. Alphonsus service project and retreat, one per year
- Before a candidate can move from Year 1 to Year 2 they must complete a Confirmation Interview.
- During the second year of the process the candidate will submit an information sheet about their sponsor. (Guidelines for eligibility are located on the Sponsor form.) If the sponsor is not a member of St. Alphonsus a verification letter from the sponsor’s pastor will need to be sent to the St. Alphonsus Faith Formation office.
If at any point the candidate does not follow the policies, they may be invited to re-enroll in the process as young adults.
Confirmation Year 1 Upcoming Dates:
11/1/20 from 12-5 PM
1/24/21 from 5:30-7:30 PM
3/7/21 from 5:30-7:30 PM
5/2/21 from 5:30-7:30 PM (might need to run a little later for interviews)
Confirmation Year 2 Upcoming Dates:
Mentor Meetings: all at 6 PM
10/20/20, 1/12/21, 2/23/21, 4/20/21
Confirmation Date: April 22, 2021
- Confirmation Certificate Information
- Retreat Experience Form
- Service Learning Information and Service Form
- Sponsor Information/Form
This program is for baptized Catholics, ages 18 or older, who are practicing their faith but have not completed their Sacraments of Initiation in the Catholic Church. This annual program begins with a one-on-one interview for the catechist to learn more about the candidate. This enables the catechist to tailor the program for all to receive the most benefit. Candidates are given the opportunity to (re)discover the essentials of our Catholic Faith.
Candidates are asked to choose a Sponsor before beginning the process. It is important to have someone who can nurture, guide and assist the candidate during the preparation process. Sponsors may not be a parent or spouse.
The program begins in the spring and ends with the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation on Pentecost at St. Joseph’s Cathedral. Next Date: May 23, 2021
Please contact the Faith Formation Office at 225-261-4644 for more information.